What are permits and why do I need one?

Permits are the way the City of Rome regulates construction. There are several different types of permits, based on the type of construction:

  • Building Permit: New construction, additions, alterations, remodels, tenant improvements, gazebos, patio covers, decks, house moves, most retaining walls, fences over 7 feet high (for fences over 6 feet see Planning and Zoning for zoning requirements), or repairs to either residential or non-residential structures.
  • Demolition Permit: The complete demolition of an existing structure.
  • Electrical Permit: New installations, additions, extensions, alterations, changes, and fire and accident repairs of any electrical wiring and electrical equipment associated with a structure or project.
  • Mechanical Permit: New installations; alterations; repair; replacement; remodel; and/or removal of duct work, heating, venting, or air conditioning equipment (HVAC) and gas piping.
  • Plumbing Permit: New installation, removal, alteration, repair, or replacement of any plumbing, gas, or drainage piping work, or any fixture or water heater or treating equipment in a building or premise.
  • Re-roof Permit: Re-roofing requires the replacement of any dry rot or fungus damaged wood and the replacement with new minimum Class A or B, 25 year roofing, flashing and ventilation of enclosed spaces.

Show All Answers

1. What are the codes and design criteria for the City of Rome and Floyd County?
2. Why are building inspections necessary?
3. What are permits and why do I need one?
4. When don't I need a permit?
5. How and where do I get a permit?